A 29-year old Washington man is in custody following last night's fatal traffic crash in Hermiston that resulted in the death of a 7-year old girl and critical injuries to her mother.
Shortly after 8 p.m. last night, 29-year-old Leslie Roquez of Irrigon was northbound on Highway 395 stopped in the left lane at the intersection with Punkin Center Road when it was struck from behind by 29-year-old Jesus Nava from Paterson, Washington.
After the vehicles came to rest, Nava fled on foot and was found hiding near the scene by a Hermiston police officer.
Roquez was critically injured and initially transported by Hermiston Ambulance to Good Shepherd Medical Center. She was later flown by air ambulance to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland for treatment of critical injuries.
Her daughter, 7-year-old Teleeya Roquez, was seated in the rear middle position properly restrained in a booster seat and safety belt. She was pronounced deceased at the scene.
Nava was transported to Good Shepherd Medical Center by Hermiston Ambulance where he was treated and released. OSP took Nava into custody and lodged him in the Umatilla County Jail on the following initial charges:
* Manslaughter in the Second Degree
* Felony Hit & Run
* Reckless Driving
* Recklessly Endangering Another Person
* Assault in the Second Degree
- Tri-City Americans picked 9th, 16th overall in NHL draft
- Yakama Nation's fuel tax exemption sought by state
- Yakima's end of Ramadan celebration
- Hit-and-run sends Wapato man to hospital
- Domestic Violence Services seeks air mattress donations
- Walla Walla General Hospital breaks its silence following closure announcement