YAKIMA, Wash. - The Department of the Army has identified the soldier who died Thursday at the Yakima Training Center.
Master Sgt. Bert J. Garvin, 45, of Yakima, died in the incident, which remains under investigation by Army authorities.
Services are pending.
Garvin was a truckmaster assigned to the 737th Transportation Company, a U.S. Army Reserve unit located on the Yakima installation. The 737th Transportation Company is a subordinate unit of the 364th Expeditionary Sustainment Command, headquartered in Marysville, Wash.
Army officials said chaplains and counselors are on the scene in Yakima to assist soldiers and family members.
“The entire command is saddened by the loss of Master Sgt. Garvin,” said Capt. Christopher Larsen, an Army spokesman. “Our heartfelt condolences go out to his family at this time of great loss.”
- Dash cam footage from DUI arrest of Yakima City Councilwoman Carmen Mendez
- Walla Walla High School Rifle Team Captain Commits to Naval Academy
- Influx in car prowlers hits Tri-Cities
- Yakima City officials speak out in response to recent shooting death
- Scammers use fake Go Fund Me accounts to steal donated money
- Yakima residents concerned about violence after recent shootings