ELLENSBURG, Wash. - The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has fully opened all the campsites at its Big Pines recreation site within the Yakima River Canyon. The partial closure happens every winter due to reduced off-season staffing and lower visitor use.
The closure also reduces the amount of maintenance needed at the site. All the campsites at BLM's Umtanum, Lmuma Creek and Roza recreation sites continue to remain open during the off-season.
Currently, reservations are not necessary for camping, but that will change May 1. If you plan to camp between May 1 and Sept. 30, please visit www.recreation.gov and search for the recreation area you want.
Camping and day use fees are charged year round and have not changed. They are $15 per site per night for camping and $5 per vehicle for day use. Day use permits may be purchased at onsite self-pay registration stations.
An Annual Use Permit sticker, which covers day use, is also available for purchase from the Wenatchee BLM Field Office, the Chamber of Commerce’s in both Ellensburg and Yakima, or at Red’s Fly Shop located in the Yakima River Canyon.
For more information, please contact the BLM Wenatchee office at 915 North Walla Walla Avenue, Wenatchee, Washington 98801 or call (509) 670-9871.
- 'It tears me up:' Trophy shop immortalizes fallen soldiers
- Authorities search for man lost in the Yakima River
- Fire officials urge public to use caution when burning outdoors
- Ride Transit Month: Environmental benefits
- Crews battle fire on I-82 East outside of Prosser
- Multiple injuries in 2 vehicle collision on Clearwater