Yakima authorities are praising a good samaritan for aiding in the rescue of a man who had driven into the Yakima River.
It happened yesterday evening near the 1700 block of Donald Wapato Road in Wapato. Art Gonzalez of Sunnyside spotted a partially submerged vehicle and a man stuck inside. He called police and remained on scene while the Swiftwater Rescue team was activated. Using ropes, rafts, and life jackets, crews were able to reach Facondo Nicholas Hernandez. He was treated for hypothermia.
Another person inside the vehicle escaped and made it to shore.
- Controversial Prosser librarian speaks out on immigration at local town hall
- St. Paul school in Yakima may soon relocate
- Former manager of the closed Black Angus is getting a new chance
- Tri-Tech students compete in Welding Wars
- Bob Hall Dealership's ‘Change is Good' campaign funding kid's ideas
- Brown scores major wins for Tri-Cities in Senate capital budget