YAKIMA COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE NEWS RELEASE -- On June 14th 2014 at approximately 1844 Hrs. the Yakima County Sheriff’s responded with Naches Fire, Yakima Training Center Fire along with Yakima Training Center Technical Rescue and the Yakima Fire Department to approximately mile post 182 of U.S. Hwy 12 for an injured rock climber.
The climber, a 29 year old male from Bellingham, Wa. was climbing the face of a cliff when his anchor that he had set pulled out of the rock, causing him to fall approximtely 60 feet.
With the efforts of the above agencies and Life Flight, the rescue teams were able to hike out, recover him and fly him via helicopter to Yakima Regional Hospital within a couple of hours.
When he had fallen, he was wearing safety equipment and a helmet.
He is expected to recover from his injuries.
- Three juveniles crash car after robbing market at gunpoint
- Lightning strikes Richland home, burns entire top floor
- Petition against cannabis shop gains traction
- Washington hosting 100 community fireworks displays on 4th of July
- Firework stands open up on tribal land
- Authorities warning swimmers after man was swept away in Yakima River