The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office in Colorado released up close body cam footage of an officer involved shooting from Friday, May 12.
Deputy Proulx was responding to a vehicle that appeared to be in need of assistance. Deyon Marcus Rivas-Maestas, 25, emerged from his vehicle with a weapon. The deputy shot the suspect and he immediately went to the ground.
WARNING: THE FOOTAGE COULD BE CONSIDERED GRAPHIC AND DISTURBING TO SOME
Deputies arrived on scene and gave emergency aid to the suspect. The suspect was transferred to a local hospital where he was treated and released into the Douglas County Detention Center’s custody.
On May 17, the sheriff’s office released the body cam footage at a press conference.
“The result of this shooting is a testament to the training each of our deputies are provided,” Sheriff Tony Spurlock said, “This just shows how necessary it is for deputies to be able to make split-second decisions, not only for their own protection but for the protection of the community.”
- First cannabis-infused massage studio opens in the Tri-Cities
- Tri-City Americans picked 9th, 16th overall in NHL draft
- Yakama Nation's fuel tax exemption sought by state
- Yakima's end of Ramadan celebration
- Hit-and-run sends Wapato man to hospital
- Domestic Violence Services seeks air mattress donations