Kennewick Police have taken several reports over the past four days of residents being contacted by phone from someone stating they are with Verizon and advising them that their personal computers have been hacked. The caller then offers to assist the person in cleaning up the problem. During the conversation the caller obtains information from the resident which allows them access to their personal computer and of course all the information residing on the computer.
In addition the caller then demands that cash be sent to them by Western Union, outside the United States. They indicate that not doing so will result in damage to their computer since they have already provided them access.
The Kennewick Police advises since computer security is essential these days so it is important to not allow anyone access to your computer unless you have initiated contact with a computer technician.
- Elderly woman found dead floating in pool
- Three juveniles crash car after robbing market at gunpoint
- Lightning strikes Richland home, burns entire top floor
- Petition against cannabis shop gains traction
- Washington hosting 100 community fireworks displays on 4th of July
- Firework stands open up on tribal land