The Grant County Coroner's office says the bones found yesterday on the banks of the Columbia River near Cresent Bar are non-forensic and are of archeological nature.
After a day-long investigation and as required by law, the remains were released to the Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation.
The bones were found by a citizen walking along the river.
Due to the drawdown of the river to relieve pressure on the Wanapum Dam, many areas upstream which are typically underwater are now exposed. The discovery of the bones was in such an area.
- State lawmakers pull all-nighter to try to reach budget deal, avert government shutdown
- Elderly woman found dead floating in pool
- Three juveniles crash car after robbing market at gunpoint
- Lightning strikes Richland home, burns entire top floor
- Petition against cannabis shop gains traction
- Washington hosting 100 community fireworks displays on 4th of July