A former Republican state legislator announces his candidacy for Congress.
Former Washington state Director of Agriculture Dan Newhouse says he wants to run for current Congressman Doc Hastings' seat.
Newhouse retired from his previous position last year, but says he was convinced by peers and family to run.
Newhouse says one of the things he will focus on if elected will be the agriculture in our region.
"Certainly that's my focus, being a lifelong farmer and my experience in government has prepared me well to be able to speak to the issues that are important to us," said Newhouse, "I'll bring that, I think i can do a good job representing those interests."
Hastings announced last week that he won't seek reelection in november.
He has served 20 years as congressman.
- Goats return to manage levee vegetation along Mill Creek
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Thrift store and non-profit continues fight against homelessness
- Police arrest suspect in murder of 14-year-old boy
- Man charged with assaulting 7-week-old daughter
- 10-year-old donates earnings to shooting victim's family