The Washington State Department of Ecology is ordering a plan to be developed in two weeks on how to put out a fire that continues to burn underground at the Pasco Sanitary Landfill.
The fire has been burning since November and the state wants the responsible parties to submit a plan and extinguish the fire.
The landfill has been closed for a long time and is a federal superfund site.
The state says there is a list of 32 businesses and government agencies that could be potentially liable for the landfill's cleanup and that all have received the order to develop a plan.
- Fire officials urge public to use caution when burning outdoors
- Ride Transit Month: Environmental benefits
- Crews battle fire on I-82 East outside of Prosser
- Multiple injuries in 2 vehicle collision on Clearwater
- Arizona prosecutor wants jail time for Vikings WR Floyd
- Crime Stoppers searching for Yakima County burglary suspect