A deputy announces his candidacy for Yakima County Sheriff this week.
Deputy Steve Changala says he wants to run for the position following current Sheriff Ken Irwin's retirement announcement.
Changala currently works on patrol in the Lower Valley and has been with the sheriff's office since 1989.
Irwin's term is up at the end of the year, along with County Auditor Corky Holloway and County Prosecutor Jim Hagarty -- all of whom will not be running for re-election.
- Man charged with felony assault over missing cigarette
- Woman wanted by authorities for escape from community custody
- Kennewick police arrest 3 in connection to graffiti amid recent uptick
- The Cash Cow Catch 22
- TSA agent pleads guilty to voyeurism charge
- Drivers have until March 31 to remove studded tires