A Department of Transportation worker escapes serious harm after being trapped under snow for hours yesterday.
Tom Martinson was clearing snow in a bulldozer near Chinook Pass, when a natural avalanche occurred, burying his bulldozer in snow.
Martinson was able to create a hole in the snow where he could wave his avalanche beacon.
Crews were able to safely remove him from his vehicle after about 5 hours.
"I'm kind of thankful for how everything was altogether there; I had my team with me, all the safety things in place," said Martinson, "We do what we can to minimize our risk, and you go from there."
Martinson says crews will be returning to Chinook Pass soon to dig out the buried bulldozer.
- Home Builders Association warns flood victims of scams and provides tips
- Annual Fire Ops Training shows daily work of a firefighter
- 86-year-old Selah man struck, killed by SUV while driving scooter
- Police trying to identify 2 suspects involved in credit card skimming at Shell station
- Pasco police chief concerned about the identity of potential Uber drivers
- Richland begins construction of second dog park