A Department of Transportation worker escapes serious harm after being trapped under snow for hours yesterday.
Tom Martinson was clearing snow in a bulldozer near Chinook Pass, when a natural avalanche occurred, burying his bulldozer in snow.
Martinson was able to create a hole in the snow where he could wave his avalanche beacon.
Crews were able to safely remove him from his vehicle after about 5 hours.
"I'm kind of thankful for how everything was altogether there; I had my team with me, all the safety things in place," said Martinson, "We do what we can to minimize our risk, and you go from there."
Martinson says crews will be returning to Chinook Pass soon to dig out the buried bulldozer.
- Three juveniles crash car after robbing market at gunpoint
- Lightning strikes Richland home, burns entire top floor
- Petition against cannabis shop gains traction
- Washington hosting 100 community fireworks displays on 4th of July
- Firework stands open up on tribal land
- Authorities warning swimmers after man was swept away in Yakima River