A Department of Transportation worker escapes serious harm after being trapped under snow for hours yesterday.
Tom Martinson was clearing snow in a bulldozer near Chinook Pass, when a natural avalanche occurred, burying his bulldozer in snow.
Martinson was able to create a hole in the snow where he could wave his avalanche beacon.
Crews were able to safely remove him from his vehicle after about 5 hours.
"I'm kind of thankful for how everything was altogether there; I had my team with me, all the safety things in place," said Martinson, "We do what we can to minimize our risk, and you go from there."
Martinson says crews will be returning to Chinook Pass soon to dig out the buried bulldozer.
- Local youth refugee performance works to inspire positive change
- Community rallies behind Meals on Wheels
- Store owners on high alert due to shoplifting spike in Kennewick
- Wildlife, forestry groups presenting in Yakima for 4-day convention
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome