Shelton double murder suspect tracked down, kills himself in Oregon motel room. The suspect in a double murder in a Shelton home was tracked down and surrounded by law enforcement at a Motel 6 room in Pendleton, Oregon, where he shot himself and died after nearly a five-hour standoff. The suspect is being identified as 33 year old Jared Abernathy. A Pendleton officer located Abernathy’s car parked behind the Motel 6 in Pendleton just off Interstate 84 at about 1 p.m. Wednesday.
STATEMENT FROM OREGON STATE POLICE - “Trained negotiators were able to establish communication with Abernathy at 3:14 p.m. after several failed attempts. Communications were maintained for almost five hours as Abernathy spoke to family, friends and negotiator(s). The ultimate goal of having Abernathy come out of his motel room peacefully ended at 8:06 p.m. when negotiators heard what sounded like a muffled report from a firearm.”
He was found dead inside the room.
- Camp Hope in Yakima sticking around until possibly November
- Funding for Yakima downtown plaza once again a problem
- Healthcare providers bracing for hospital closure in Walla Walla
- Wapato public swimming pool set to open for summer
- Pasco officer donates car seats to vehicle theft victims
- Oregon joins states where roadkill can be harvested for food