PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- The State Board of Higher Education has named Jay Kenton the interim president of Eastern Oregon University.
Kenton recently announced his retirement as vice chancellor of finance and administration for the Oregon University System.
He succeeds Robert Davies, who was hired last month to lead Murray State University in Kentucky.
Also Friday, the board gave university system Chancellor Melody Rose the go-ahead to start the search for a permanent president.
Kenton started his career at the La Grande campus in 1983.
He says boosting enrollment at the financially challenged university will be one of his main areas of focus.
- Yakama Nation's fuel tax exemption sought by state
- Yakima's end of Ramadan celebration
- Hit-and-run sends Wapato man to hospital
- Domestic Violence Services seeks air mattress donations
- Walla Walla General Hospital breaks its silence following closure announcement
- State responds to letter from West Richland regarding pot shop location