PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- The State Board of Higher Education has named Jay Kenton the interim president of Eastern Oregon University.
Kenton recently announced his retirement as vice chancellor of finance and administration for the Oregon University System.
He succeeds Robert Davies, who was hired last month to lead Murray State University in Kentucky.
Also Friday, the board gave university system Chancellor Melody Rose the go-ahead to start the search for a permanent president.
Kenton started his career at the La Grande campus in 1983.
He says boosting enrollment at the financially challenged university will be one of his main areas of focus.
- Swedish hostage released after 6 years
- New non-profit Service Peace Warriors trains service dogs for veterans
- Local business owner helping maintain Yakima's landmark sign
- Residents lose everything in apartment fire over the weekend
- 'It tears me up:' Trophy shop immortalizes fallen soldiers
- Authorities search for man lost in the Yakima River