SEATTLE (AP) -- Former Gov. Chris Gregoire is leading an initiative campaign that may ask Washington voters next fall to raise the cigarette tax by $1 a pack to fund cancer research and prevention.
A spokesman for Initiative 1356, Sandeep Kaushik, told The Seattle Times supporters would decide within a couple of weeks whether to push the measure this year.
To qualify for the November ballot they would have to submit more than 246,000 signatures by July 3.
Washington's current tax of $3.03 per pack is already one of the highest in the nation.
- Sunnyside police officer resigns after domestic violence allegations
- Layton Park vandalism suspect caught on camera
- Deputies investigating Kennewick woman's unknown cause of death
- Pasco Police searching for man involved in active case
- Ford to invest $1.2 billion in Michigan plants
- Amazon buys Souq in big play for Middle East market