A fire broke out in Selah that threatens two homes after a lightning strike during this afternoons thunderstorm.
The Collins Command Fire started just before five this afternoon near Collins Road and Selah Loop.
Fire Officials say the fire has burned about 40 acres of sagebrush, and the structures being threatened are protected by a fire truck.
The biggest obstacle for firefighters is the terrain, they are fighting the fire mostly by hand because it is hard to get trucks on the other side of the ridge.
Firefighters from Selah, East Valley, West Valley, Gleed, Naches, Naches Heights, Yakima Training Center, and the City of Yakima were called to the fire.
The fire is expected to be fully contained by sundown.
- Local youth refugee performance works to inspire positive change
- Community rallies behind Meals on Wheels
- Store owners on high alert due to shoplifting spike in Kennewick
- Wildlife, forestry groups presenting in Yakima for 4-day convention
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome