A fire broke out in Selah that threatens two homes after a lightning strike during this afternoons thunderstorm.
The Collins Command Fire started just before five this afternoon near Collins Road and Selah Loop.
Fire Officials say the fire has burned about 40 acres of sagebrush, and the structures being threatened are protected by a fire truck.
The biggest obstacle for firefighters is the terrain, they are fighting the fire mostly by hand because it is hard to get trucks on the other side of the ridge.
Firefighters from Selah, East Valley, West Valley, Gleed, Naches, Naches Heights, Yakima Training Center, and the City of Yakima were called to the fire.
The fire is expected to be fully contained by sundown.
- Camp Hope in Yakima sticking around until possibly November
- Funding for Yakima downtown plaza once again a problem
- Healthcare providers bracing for hospital closure in Walla Walla
- Wapato public swimming pool set to open for summer
- Pasco officer donates car seats to vehicle theft victims
- Oregon joins states where roadkill can be harvested for food