A Yakima family is safe after a fire sparks up in their home this afternoon.
Firefighters were called out to the 200 block of South 16th Avenue just before 2 p.m. -- the fire appeared to have started at the the back of the home.
The family living in the house say they were able to escape before crews arrived.
Crews contained the fire to the back -- however, the rest of the house suffered smoke damage.
- Goats return to manage levee vegetation along Mill Creek
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Thrift store and non-profit continues fight against homelessness
- Police arrest suspect in murder of 14-year-old boy
- Man charged with assaulting 7-week-old daughter
- 10-year-old donates earnings to shooting victim's family