A Benton County firefighter is being treated at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle after being receiving an electrical showck this morning while fighting a woodpile fire.
22-year-old firefighter Ty Schoenwald is currently in stable condition at Harborview, he's been through several tests and will go through a few more this evening and will hopefully be back in town tomorrow.
Firefighters said when they arrived at the scene around 8 a.m. on Game Farm Road near Jump Off Joe Butte, a downed power line had fallen into the woodpile.
Shoenwald somehow received an electric shock and was transported to Trios Health for treatment.
He was conscious and alert, even laughing and joking with other firefighters at the hospital.
Firefighter Devin Helland said although as a team, each member knows they are risking their lives everyday, this still impacts the rest of the firefighters Schoenwald works with.
Power has been restored to the area and the incident is under investigation.
Schoenwald is currently a student at Washington State University and been a Benton County Fire district one volunteer firefighter since April of 2012.
Schoenwald's father, Captain Tim Shoenwald, has been with Fire District #1 for more than 22 years.
- Three juveniles crash car after robbing market at gunpoint
- Lightning strikes Richland home, burns entire top floor
- Petition against cannabis shop gains traction
- Washington hosting 100 community fireworks displays on 4th of July
- Firework stands open up on tribal land
- Authorities warning swimmers after man was swept away in Yakima River