The Yakima Fire Department is investigating a basement fire that took place around 8:30 this morning on the 1200 block of South 9th Avenue.
When firefighters arrived they found smoke coming from the windows of the basement.
There were two people inside the house during the fire. They were in the upstairs area when they could smell and see smoke coming from the inside of their basement. They were able to safely exit the home and call the fire department shortly after noticing the fire.
Five people living inside the home will be displaced until cleanup efforts are completed.
The cause of the fire is undetermined and under investigation at this time.
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome
- Oregon woman pleads guilty to assaulting passenger on flight
- Prosser school bus driver facing backlash for religious signs
- Bills aim to aid job seekers with criminal history
- Police: Naked man destroys home in Edmonds