Lektor was the first Yakima Police dog to serve.
He began his service in 2000 and retired in 2008.
Sgt. Mike Henne helped start the K-9 program by raising money to fund the training and purchase of a dog for the department. When Lektor retired in 2008 he became a household pet of Henne's.
Henne said that Lektor had to be put down on Monday because of old age, he was 16.
The Yakima PD now has four K-9 units strictly for back up purposes for if an officer needs assistance.
- Yakima council presents draft of ‘inclusive public safety ordinance'
- Yakima council votes against raising car tab fees
- Richland extends Benton County jail contract
- First eating disorder treatment program begins in Kennewick
- Jury hears interview with defendant during retrial for former police officer accused of rape
- 4 arrested after Walmart shoplifting in Pasco