From the Yakima Fire Department:
Yakima Fire crews were dispatched to a confirmed structure fire on the 5700 block of W. Washington Avenue last night.
The first arriving crew found thick smoke covering W.Washington Ave. making access difficult to the residence that was back off the road.
Engine 94 crew reported fire showing at the rear of the residence and began to extinguish the fire.
There were two residents in the home that were outside when crews arrived, the next engine searched the home to verify no one else was inside.
The resident stated she was awakened by noise at the back of her house then the sound of breaking glass.
The resident went to the unoccupied bedroom, opened the door and found fire and smoke entering the home from the window with flames coming across the ceiling The resident was able to evacuated her family (2) and called 911.
The fire started on the exterior, extended into the attic and the interior of the residence before crews arrived.
This family is lucky to survive this fire as there were no functioning smoke alarms in the home.
Crews were on scene for nearly 2 hours for extinguishment, overhauls and investigation.
The fire was caused by heat lamps in a Chicken coop.
The fire had rapid growth due in part to the sawdust bedding and feathers that were near the heat lamps.
This fire is determined to be accidental but is a good lesson to not pace them in pet enclosures right next to your house.
- Crime Stoppers searching for Yakima County burglary suspect
- Medical supply company files for bankruptcy after 70 years of business
- New study of Seattle's $15 minimum wage says it costs jobs
- Alaska Air offers charter flight for solar eclipse viewing
- Avis to manage Waymo's self-driving cars
- RPD looking for help identifying alleged shoplifters