Hermiston Police release crime statistics for 2013 and the news is mixed.
Chief of Police Jason Edminston says total crime is up 3% over the previous year, but still down 6% from the 10 year average.
While violent crimes and burglaries are down (36% - violent crimes, 23% - burglaries), larceny is up 10% and auto theft is up 22%.
In regards to auto theft, Edminston says most of the time keys are left in the vehicle and the vehicle is left unlocked.
In 2013, the total number of arrests also increased, which Edminston credits to the refocus of the majority of officers spending more time on investigations.
- Washington state operating budget proposal may cut homeless funding
- Former Pasco police officer found not guilty of rape, assault
- Court rules on lawsuit against WSU in euthanized dog case
- Man arrested on 3 warrants due to unrelated 911 call
- Repairing the damage from recent flooding keeping contractors busy
- 72-year-old Bellingham man charged with rape, other crimes