Hermiston Police release crime statistics for 2013 and the news is mixed.
Chief of Police Jason Edminston says total crime is up 3% over the previous year, but still down 6% from the 10 year average.
While violent crimes and burglaries are down (36% - violent crimes, 23% - burglaries), larceny is up 10% and auto theft is up 22%.
In regards to auto theft, Edminston says most of the time keys are left in the vehicle and the vehicle is left unlocked.
In 2013, the total number of arrests also increased, which Edminston credits to the refocus of the majority of officers spending more time on investigations.
- Mexican companies express interest in building border wall
- Teens wearing leggings barred from United flight
- Montana man identified as Las Vegas Strip shooting victim
- Inmate dies at Idaho maximum security prison
- Fire destroys apple packing plant in central Washington
- Discrimination lawsuit filed by former firefighter settled