Hermiston Police release crime statistics for 2013 and the news is mixed.
Chief of Police Jason Edminston says total crime is up 3% over the previous year, but still down 6% from the 10 year average.
While violent crimes and burglaries are down (36% - violent crimes, 23% - burglaries), larceny is up 10% and auto theft is up 22%.
In regards to auto theft, Edminston says most of the time keys are left in the vehicle and the vehicle is left unlocked.
In 2013, the total number of arrests also increased, which Edminston credits to the refocus of the majority of officers spending more time on investigations.
- Lineup ready for Yakima's Apple Jam talent search
- Burning of garbage cause of West Valley fire
- Camp Hope in Yakima sticking around until possibly November
- Funding for Yakima downtown plaza once again a problem
- Healthcare providers bracing for hospital closure in Walla Walla
- Wapato public swimming pool set to open for summer