A citizen walking along the Columbia River at Crescent Bar this afternoon discovered what Grant County Detectives believe are human bones, but how long they have been there is unclear.
Due to the drawdown of the river to relieve pressure on the Wanapum Dam, many areas upstream which are typically underwater are now exposed. The discovery of the bones was in such an area.
Detectives are uncertain how long the bones have been there, and it is possible they have been there for a long time. With that in mind, and due to the rich heritage of Grant County, it is possible the bones are that of an early settler or a Native American, and leaders of the nearby Wanapum Tribe visited the scene this afternoon. The Grant County Sheriff’s Office and the Washington State Patrol Crime Lab will carefully collect the remains Wednesday for analysis.
Investigators will remain on the scene throughout the night.
- Supporters of Hanford Reach worried about Trump action
- Missing Seattle woman found dead in Columbia River
- Police searching for driver missing from car wreck
- Google Maps now remembers where you parked your car
- Seahawk's "Blitz" to entertain students in Yakima today
- Bride of ISIS: From 'happily ever after' to hell