From Benton County Sheriff's Department:
While conducting hourly inmate welfare checks, Correction Officers located 26 year old Stephen L. Morgan, unconscious with a bed sheet tied around his neck. Medics were immediately dispatched while Correction Officers and jail nurses provided medical assistance. Morgan was then transported to Trios Medical Center where he died approximately six hours later.
Morgan was booked into the Benton County Jail on August 27th by Kennewick Police Department on local charges. Morgan did not disclose any history of depression or mental illness on his questioner at the time of booking. Morgan was being housed in a single occupant cell at the time he was found.
Tri-City Special Investigations Unit was called out to investigate.
- Two police officers promoted in ceremony in West Richland
- Uber driver waits for Pasco city approval
- UPDATE: Community debates Prosser SD staff's actions
- Yakima city leaders still working on an "inclusive public safety ordinance'
- Resident's worried but not shocked as police continue to investigate alleged assault on Greenway
- Winter recreation continues, but Sno-Parks are reducing services