UMATILLA, Wash. - An inmate died unexpectedly at the Two Rivers Correctional Institute in Umatilla on Friday morning.
Michael Shaw, 52, was found unresponsive in his bed around 5:45 a.m. and medical staff tried to revive him.
He was pronounced dead at 6:32 a.m. of apparent natural causes.
As with all unexpected deaths in state prisons, Oregon State Police detectives are conducting an investigation.
Shaw has been in custody since Jul. 16, 2002 on one count of first-degree sex abuse and one count of mistreatment in Marion County. His earliest release date was Sept. 28, 2025.
- Community scared after recent violence in Yakima
- Goats return to manage levee vegetation along Mill Creek
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Thrift store and non-profit continues fight against homelessness
- Police arrest suspect in murder of 14-year-old boy
- Man charged with assaulting 7-week-old daughter