News

Judge not ready to rule on new travel ban

The federal judge in Seattle who issued the order stopping President Donald Trump’s nationwide travel ban, says he will not immediately rule on whether the temporary restraining order applies to the new travel ban, signed by the president last week.

President Trump’s initial travel ban blocked citizens from seven predominantly Muslim countries from entering the United States, and included green card and visa holders. Washington state Attorney General, Bob Ferguson, filed a lawsuit against the travel ban in February, and was victorious in getting U.S. District Court Judge Robart to order a temporary restraining order against the ban.

Last week, President Trump signed a revised executive order, this time taking Iraq off on the banned list, and allowing green card and visa holders to enter the country. But Attorney General Ferguson’s office filed a motion, requesting the restraining order be applied to the new ban, due to “virtually identical” language contained in the new executive order.

Trump's revised ban bars new visas for people from six predominantly Muslim countries: Somalia, Iran, Syria, Sudan, Libya and Yemen. It also temporarily shuts down the U.S. refugee program. It is set to go in effect on Thursday.

Judge James Robart said in an order Friday that motions or a complaint over the revised ban need to be filed before he can make a decision. The states of Washington and Minnesota, as well as the Justice Department, have only filed notices.


Local and Regional News

Photo Galleries

This Week's Circulars