The Franklin County Sheriff's Office is warning residents of a telephone scam involving the failure to report for jury duty.
The Sheriff's Office receiving several complaints today of people being called and told they have failed to report for jury duty and need to pay a fee right now or be arrested. The caller is calling from 509-221-0688 which is not a valid Sheriff's Office phone number.
The Franklin County Sheriff's Office and other law enforcement agencies do not call people and advise them to pay or they will go to jail.
Several scams around the country have used similar tactics, either an outstanding ticket, failure to show for jury duty, a warrant is being issued, or a loved one is in jail and needs to be bailed out.
If you get a call like these do not send any money, hang up and report it to your local law enforcement agency.
- Semi-rollover closes Vantage Bridge
- Former WSU student sentenced to 12 years for drugs
- Toppenish school employee leaves handgun in bathroom
- Seattle police officer, Yakima native released after being shot in face
- Man arrested on suspicion of terror offenses near UK Parliament
- Local teacher helps his students take flight