The city of Kennewick is in the early phases of possibly owning part of Columbia Park.
The area being talked about is 61 acres including the family fishing pond, the playground of dreams and the large grassy area west of the playground.
Right now that part of the park is owned by the Army Corps of Engineers.
City staffers said the city is working with the Corps to do surveys on the land and assign parcels.
This first phase is for the city to explore if it is even feasible for it to own the land.
City spokesperson Evelyn Lusignan said owning part of the park would give Kennewick the flexibility to develop that land and bring more funds into the park.
- Why North Korea, US don't want all-out war
- Ousted South Korean president's confidante sentenced
- Vulnerable pets earn second chance at life with generous donation
- Lineup ready for Yakima's Apple Jam talent search
- Burning of garbage cause of West Valley fire
- Camp Hope in Yakima sticking around until possibly November