As of right now the Tri Cities Horse Racing Association and the Benton Franklin Fair Association do not have a lease agreement. No lease agreement means no Sun Down races come April and May.
Benton Franklin Fair Director Lori Lancaster said that this is not uncommon and they will still have horses and trainers moving into stalls on the fairgrounds over the weeked.
Right now many horses are at Portland Meadows but that track will close on Saturday.
At that point most of them will move to the Benton Franklin Fairgrounds.
Lancaster said the leases for horses and trainers are separate from the lease with the Tri-Cities Horse Racing Association,
- Local youth refugee performance works to inspire positive change
- Community rallies behind Meals on Wheels
- Store owners on high alert due to shoplifting spike in Kennewick
- Wildlife, forestry groups presenting in Yakima for 4-day convention
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome