A Yakima attorney announces this afternoon he will be running for Yakima County Prosecuting Attorney.
Joseph Brusic made the announcement at his Union Gap law office.
Brusic served 10 years as a deputy prosecutor in Yakima County, and also as a senior deputy prosecutor for both superior and juvenile courts.
He will be running for the seat held by current county prosecutor, Jim Hagarty, whose first term will expire at the end of the year.
"People here in this community must have a strong criminal justice system," said Brusic, "There's a great deal of tension right now in the community, and I believe that I would be very efficient and accountable in trying to improve and make better the situation as it exists right now."
Hagarty has not announced whether he will run for re-election in November.
- Three juveniles crash car after robbing market at gunpoint
- Lightning strikes Richland home, burns entire top floor
- Petition against cannabis shop gains traction
- Washington hosting 100 community fireworks displays on 4th of July
- Firework stands open up on tribal land
- Authorities warning swimmers after man was swept away in Yakima River