The Department of Energy is closing the Waste Sampling and Characterization Facility at Hanford in an effort to reduce infrastructure costs.
The facility, which analyzes samples with trace amounts of chemicals and radioactive materials from the Hanford site, will close within a year.
Some 60 employees at the facility have been notified.
Once the closure is complete, offsite laboratories will be used to analyze samples as the Hanford cleanup continues.
- Local youth refugee performance works to inspire positive change
- Community rallies behind Meals on Wheels
- Store owners on high alert due to shoplifting spike in Kennewick
- Wildlife, forestry groups presenting in Yakima for 4-day convention
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome