A public memorial service for Officer Derek "Chip" Hansen will be held this Friday at 11 a.m. at the Grandview Church of the Nazarane, 500 North Elm Street in Grandview.
Hansen died on March 8th from injuries he obtained during a fight with a suspect nearly three years ago.
Police, Behind the Badge Foundation members, first responders and citizens are in the process of planning the services to honor the wishes of the family and the Wapato Police Department.
There will be a police motorcade made up of family, as well as Wapato and Zillah Police agencies that will begin in Zillah and go through Wapato as they make their way to the Grandview Church of the Nazarane. Details of the exact route and time have not been released yet.
- Montana man identified as Las Vegas Strip shooting victim
- Inmate dies at Idaho maximum security prison
- Fire destroys apple packing plant in central Washington
- Discrimination lawsuit filed by former firefighter settled
- Seattle plant failure dumps millions of gallons of sewage
- Colorado weighs strategy for guarding against pot crackdown