A public memorial service for Officer Derek "Chip" Hansen will be held this Friday at 11 a.m. at the Grandview Church of the Nazarane, 500 North Elm Street in Grandview.
Hansen died on March 8th from injuries he obtained during a fight with a suspect nearly three years ago.
Police, Behind the Badge Foundation members, first responders and citizens are in the process of planning the services to honor the wishes of the family and the Wapato Police Department.
There will be a police motorcade made up of family, as well as Wapato and Zillah Police agencies that will begin in Zillah and go through Wapato as they make their way to the Grandview Church of the Nazarane. Details of the exact route and time have not been released yet.
- Richland fireworks volunteers hoping to give back with proceeds
- Evacuation orders in place for Selah fire
- Police looking to arrest meth possession, delivery suspect
- Crews intensify search for missing Union Gap woman
- Deal in principle reached on Washington state operating budget
- Global cyberattack: What you need to know