SEATTLE (AP) -- The Census Bureau estimates Seattle grew faster than any other major American city in the past year -- a 2.8 percent rate -- adding nearly 18,000 residents to bring the population to about 652,000.
The Seattle Times reports (http://bit.ly/RXEuMf ) the new population estimate ranks Seattle as the nation's 21st biggest city.
The new Census data also show the Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue metropolitan area added 57,000 people and remains the nation's 15th-largest metro area, with 3.61 million residents.
Washington's population grew by 76,000 and is estimated at 6.97 million.
- Three juveniles crash car after robbing market at gunpoint
- Lightning strikes Richland home, burns entire top floor
- Petition against cannabis shop gains traction
- Washington hosting 100 community fireworks displays on 4th of July
- Firework stands open up on tribal land
- Authorities warning swimmers after man was swept away in Yakima River