A Burlington Northern Santa Fe train strikes a car near Prosser this morning.
Patrol Lieutenant Chuck Jones from the Benton County Sheriff's Office says the Ford Explorer was involved in a short police pursuit on the highway in Richland prior to the incident. Police lost sight of that vehicle. Shortly after, sheriff's deputies responded to Interstate 82 near milepost 85 for a report of a train vs. vehicle accident.
The vehicle was laying upside down on a railroad track that ran parallel to the highway Authorities believe the vehicle may have crashed, and could have intentionally been moved on the tracks. No one was inside at the time and authorities believe there were no injuries.
The suspect likely fled on foot and is at large at this time.
The train is running again after being delayed by the crash.
- Washington state operating budget proposal may cut homeless funding
- Former Pasco police officer found not guilty of rape, assault
- Court rules on lawsuit against WSU in euthanized dog case
- Man arrested on 3 warrants due to unrelated 911 call
- Repairing the damage from recent flooding keeping contractors busy
- 72-year-old Bellingham man charged with rape, other crimes