A Burlington Northern Santa Fe train strikes a car near Prosser this morning.
Patrol Lieutenant Chuck Jones from the Benton County Sheriff's Office says the Ford Explorer was involved in a short police pursuit on the highway in Richland prior to the incident. Police lost sight of that vehicle. Shortly after, sheriff's deputies responded to Interstate 82 near milepost 85 for a report of a train vs. vehicle accident.
The vehicle was laying upside down on a railroad track that ran parallel to the highway Authorities believe the vehicle may have crashed, and could have intentionally been moved on the tracks. No one was inside at the time and authorities believe there were no injuries.
The suspect likely fled on foot and is at large at this time.
The train is running again after being delayed by the crash.
- Judge orders Exxon to hand over climate change documents
- KSD votes 3-2 to keep speaker Brad Henning
- American Cancer Society concerned with new health care legislation
- Returning property owners not convinced Mother Nature is to blame for recent flooding
- Yakima council presents draft of ‘inclusive public safety ordinance'
- Yakima council votes against raising car tab fees