A Benton City woman crashed into a moving train Friday morning in Prosser.
Karen Jimenez, 19, was driving on North Wilgus Road northbound in her 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. She was distracted by loud music and her dog in the car, documents said.
The woman failed to yield for a westbound Central Washington Railroad train crossing near West Johnson Road.
The collision completely destroyed the front end of Jimenez’ car. It caused minor damage to the locomotive.
Jimenez and her dog left the scene without significant injuries.
Benton County Deputies responded to the accident around 8:15 a.m.
The railroad crossing was properly marked with red and white yield signs, authorities said.
- Camp Hope in Yakima sticking around until possibly November
- Funding for Yakima downtown plaza once again a problem
- Healthcare providers bracing for hospital closure in Walla Walla
- Wapato public swimming pool set to open for summer
- Pasco officer donates car seats to vehicle theft victims
- Oregon joins states where roadkill can be harvested for food