A man is in custody after police say he threatened to blow himself up with a pipe bomb.
Richland police say 29 year old Brandon Starkey was found intoxicated and passed out in his car this afternoon in the Safeway parking lot near George Washington Way.
Officers spotted the pipe bomb and were able to apprehend Starkey -- officers say Starkey told police he planned to blow himself up.
Police blocked off the parking lot and called in the Richland bomb squad, who were able to disable the bomb and destroy it.
Starkey was booked into Benton County jail on suspicion of possessing an explosive device.
- Crime Stoppers searching for Yakima County burglary suspect
- Medical supply company files for bankruptcy after 70 years of business
- New study of Seattle's $15 minimum wage says it costs jobs
- Alaska Air offers charter flight for solar eclipse viewing
- Avis to manage Waymo's self-driving cars
- RPD looking for help identifying alleged shoplifters