A man is in custody after police say he threatened to blow himself up with a pipe bomb.
Richland police say 29 year old Brandon Starkey was found intoxicated and passed out in his car this afternoon in the Safeway parking lot near George Washington Way.
Officers spotted the pipe bomb and were able to apprehend Starkey -- officers say Starkey told police he planned to blow himself up.
Police blocked off the parking lot and called in the Richland bomb squad, who were able to disable the bomb and destroy it.
Starkey was booked into Benton County jail on suspicion of possessing an explosive device.
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome
- Oregon woman pleads guilty to assaulting passenger on flight
- Prosser school bus driver facing backlash for religious signs
- Bills aim to aid job seekers with criminal history
- Police: Naked man destroys home in Edmonds