CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (AP) -- A U.S. Marine based at Camp Lejeune has died during combat operations in Afghanistan.
The U.S. Department of Defense announced Thursday that Sgt. Jacob M. Hess of Spokane, Wash., died Wednesday in Helmand Province.
The 22-year-old Marine was assigned to Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 26, Marine Aircraft Group 26, 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing, II Marine Expeditionary Force.
The military provided no details of how Hess was killed. The DOD release said his death is under investigation.
- Yakama Nation's fuel tax exemption sought by state
- Yakima's end of Ramadan celebration
- Hit-and-run sends Wapato man to hospital
- Domestic Violence Services seeks air mattress donations
- Walla Walla General Hospital breaks its silence following closure announcement
- State responds to letter from West Richland regarding pot shop location