A Walla Walla Sheriff's Deputy killed in the line of duty is remembered with an overpass named in his honor.
Sheriff's Deputy Michael Estes passed away in 2007 after being injured during an on duty car crash at the intersection of US Highway 12 and Highway 124.
That intersection is now officially named the Michael Estes overpass.
Estes was responding to a 911 emergency call on February 6th when the passenger side of his cruiser was hit by a semi truck.
He died eight days later.
Walla walla County District Five Chief Mike Wickstrom said this ceremony is a little bitter sweet.
"Spending time with him at all the accidents we had at this intersection this seems kind of odd to me that he's not here with us for an opening of something like this, but Mike would be really honored to have this namefd after him. I know his fmaily is, it means a lot to all of us that knew him," said Wickstrom.
Estes was hired by the Walla Walla Sheriff's Department in 2005 and then re-assigned to Burbank in 2006.
- Yakama Nation's fuel tax exemption sought by state
- Yakima's end of Ramadan celebration
- Hit-and-run sends Wapato man to hospital
- Domestic Violence Services seeks air mattress donations
- Walla Walla General Hospital breaks its silence following closure announcement
- State responds to letter from West Richland regarding pot shop location