A Walla Walla Sheriff's Deputy killed in the line of duty is remembered with an overpass named in his honor.
Sheriff's Deputy Michael Estes passed away in 2007 after being injured during an on duty car crash at the intersection of US Highway 12 and Highway 124.
That intersection is now officially named the Michael Estes overpass.
Estes was responding to a 911 emergency call on February 6th when the passenger side of his cruiser was hit by a semi truck.
He died eight days later.
Walla walla County District Five Chief Mike Wickstrom said this ceremony is a little bitter sweet.
"Spending time with him at all the accidents we had at this intersection this seems kind of odd to me that he's not here with us for an opening of something like this, but Mike would be really honored to have this namefd after him. I know his fmaily is, it means a lot to all of us that knew him," said Wickstrom.
Estes was hired by the Walla Walla Sheriff's Department in 2005 and then re-assigned to Burbank in 2006.
- Utah governor says he will approve strictest DUI limit in US
- Protect yourself from fastest growing crime: ID theft
- Authorities apprehend kayaking burglar suspect
- Judge orders Exxon to hand over climate change documents
- KSD votes 3-2 to keep speaker Brad Henning
- American Cancer Society concerned with new health care legislation