WOONSOCKET, R.I. (AP) -- Police in Rhode Island have canceled an Amber Alert for a 6-year-old boy who was taken by his mother after the two were found safe in Washington state.
The Providence Journal reports that Daniel Britt is in the custody of the Department of Youth Services in Washington. Plans to bring him home have not been finalized yet.
His mother, Andria Britt, has been charged with being a fugitive from justice and child snatching. She is being held in Island County Jail.
Authorities say the Seattle office of the FBI negotiated a voluntary surrender with the help of the mother's family.
At a news conference Thursday night, Daniel's father, Sean Britt, said his son will be 7 years old on Jan. 24. Britt says he's "really relieved" Daniel is safe.
- Man fatally shot by Kent police during pursuit identified
- Credit card skimmers on the rise in grocery stores
- Veterans benefiting from free community acupuncture
- Wildfires in central Washington cover more than 6,000 acres
- Storm cleanup turns into neighborhood effort
- Graffiti uptick in Finley prompts law enforcement crackdown