WOONSOCKET, R.I. (AP) -- Police in Rhode Island have canceled an Amber Alert for a 6-year-old boy who was taken by his mother after the two were found safe in Washington state.
The Providence Journal reports that Daniel Britt is in the custody of the Department of Youth Services in Washington. Plans to bring him home have not been finalized yet.
His mother, Andria Britt, has been charged with being a fugitive from justice and child snatching. She is being held in Island County Jail.
Authorities say the Seattle office of the FBI negotiated a voluntary surrender with the help of the mother's family.
At a news conference Thursday night, Daniel's father, Sean Britt, said his son will be 7 years old on Jan. 24. Britt says he's "really relieved" Daniel is safe.
- Does the Dubai Frame depict an ugly picture?
- Legislature passes bill targeting prohibited gun buyers
- Mother of South Carolina murder suspect dies
- Doctor's arrest brings attention to US female circumcisions
- North Korea detains US citizen; at least 3rd American being held
- Islamic Center burglarized in West Richland