The state of Washington is participating in a nationwide distracted driving crackdown.
From April 10th- 15th officers will be targeting motorists who appear to be driving distracted.
Distracted driving will include anything from talking on the phone, texting, reading the newspaper, putting on makeup or eating.
The Washington State Patrol said this crackdown is to make drivers aware of all of the potential distractions beyond just a cell phone.
The campaign's slogan is "U Drive. U Text. U Pay." but the campaign does go beyond just texting.
The Washington State Patrol said high speeds and drinking driving contribute to collisions but distracted driving could prevent a large number of crashes.
There will be extra officers patrolling the streets during the campaign.
- 'It tears me up:' Trophy shop immortalizes fallen soldiers
- Authorities search for man lost in the Yakima River
- Fire officials urge public to use caution when burning outdoors
- Ride Transit Month: Environmental benefits
- Crews battle fire on I-82 East outside of Prosser
- Multiple injuries in 2 vehicle collision on Clearwater