From Dr. Mike Brophy, Superintendent, West Valley School District:
In a continuing effort to have open communication with our parents and our school community, we would like to inform you of the following: At Mountainview Elementary, before school, two maintenance workers were mowing the lawn at the school and they reported that a loud sound, similar to a gunshot, occurred on the school grounds.
As a precautionary measure, the school went into lock-down and busses were re-routed to Cottonwood Elementary.
The Yakima Sheriff's Department conducted a sweep of the campus and determined that the campus was safe. There was no evidence that a gunshot occurred.
At approximately 9:05 a.m., the school went out of lock-down and t he school day resumed as normal.
I want to assure you that the safety of our students, staff, and community members is of utmost importance and we will take every precautionary measure as needed to ensure our schools our safe.
- Swedish hostage released after 6 years
- New non-profit Service Peace Warriors trains service dogs for veterans
- Local business owner helping maintain Yakima's landmark sign
- Residents lose everything in apartment fire over the weekend
- 'It tears me up:' Trophy shop immortalizes fallen soldiers
- Authorities search for man lost in the Yakima River