An Athena man is dead following an officer-involved shooting this morning near Athena.
The Umatilla County District Attorney's Office says 55-year-old Tere King exited his vehicle with a firearm after an Athena Police officer spotted his vehicle just after 7 this morning on Pamburn Road near Highway 11.
Before shots were fired and King exited his vehicle, he allegedly tried driving his vehicle at Sergeant Erik Palmer.
When King exited, that's when Palmer shot King one time, resulting in a fatal injury.
King was involved in a high speed pursuit on Saturday with Milton-Freewater Police, but got away.
- Local youth refugee performance works to inspire positive change
- Community rallies behind Meals on Wheels
- Store owners on high alert due to shoplifting spike in Kennewick
- Wildlife, forestry groups presenting in Yakima for 4-day convention
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome