A brand new teacher of the year is crowned this morning in Sunnyside.
Sunnyside High School's Spencer Martin was named Educational Service District 105's newest teacher of the year.
That district serves the majority of the Yakima Valley
Martin teaches engineering classes at the high school, and is a 20 year veteran of the U.S. Navy.
Two teachers, including Martin, have won the award from the same school district--Sunnyside--in back to back years.
I really believe the reason it's here is because as a district, as a whole, we have put forth the effort to make sure that from the kindergarten to the 12th grade, we are all doing the same thing and trying to empower our students to be the best they can," said Martin.
Josh Schlegel, a math coach at Sunnyside's Harrison Middle School, won the regional award last year.
- Yakama Nation's fuel tax exemption sought by state
- Yakima's end of Ramadan celebration
- Hit-and-run sends Wapato man to hospital
- Domestic Violence Services seeks air mattress donations
- Walla Walla General Hospital breaks its silence following closure announcement
- State responds to letter from West Richland regarding pot shop location