A brand new teacher of the year is crowned this morning in Sunnyside.
Sunnyside High School's Spencer Martin was named Educational Service District 105's newest teacher of the year.
That district serves the majority of the Yakima Valley
Martin teaches engineering classes at the high school, and is a 20 year veteran of the U.S. Navy.
Two teachers, including Martin, have won the award from the same school district--Sunnyside--in back to back years.
I really believe the reason it's here is because as a district, as a whole, we have put forth the effort to make sure that from the kindergarten to the 12th grade, we are all doing the same thing and trying to empower our students to be the best they can," said Martin.
Josh Schlegel, a math coach at Sunnyside's Harrison Middle School, won the regional award last year.
- Local youth refugee performance works to inspire positive change
- Community rallies behind Meals on Wheels
- Store owners on high alert due to shoplifting spike in Kennewick
- Wildlife, forestry groups presenting in Yakima for 4-day convention
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome