ROSEBURG, Ore. (AP) - Josephine County sheriff's detectives have arrested a Sunny Valley woman in the shooting death of her mother's boyfriend.
The Oregon State Police say Thursday that 40-year-old Amber Ellen Sells was booked at the Josephine County Jail on a charge of murder in the death of 54-year-old Randy Allen Hummel, also of Sunny Valley. Sells will be assigned a court-appointed public defender but an attorney was not yet listed.
In a probable cause affidavit, OSP Officer Bryan Scott says Sells had stolen her mother's handgun.
The document says Hummel -- the mother's boyfriend -- confronted Sells about the alleged theft and Sells shot him in the head as he approached her.
Scott says Sells has given conflicting statements about the shooting that do not match evidence at the scene.
- Woman dies in highway crash in Yakima
- Man shot by deputy in Burien was carrying pen, not knife
- Lawsuit filed following police shooting in Washington state
- 5 year old girl found unconscious in pool
- Ex-boyfriend kills new boyfriend and then himself
- West Richland residents hold petition signing against new cannabis shop