From the Yakima County Prosecutor's office:
Yakima County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office completed its review of the investigative reports for the Officer Casey Gillette officer involved shooting which resulted in the death of Rocendo Arias.
RCW 9A.16.040 permits the use of deadly force in situations where the circumstances indicate a person poses a threat of physical harm or death by threatening an officer with a weapon or displays a weapon in a manner which could reasonably be construed as threatening. Based upon the information provided, Officer Gillette responded to a perceived threat of injury or death when Arias pointed what appeared to be a handgun at Gillette. Accordingly, Officer Gillette was justified in the use of deadly force under the circumstances as perceived at that time.
- Local youth refugee performance works to inspire positive change
- Community rallies behind Meals on Wheels
- Store owners on high alert due to shoplifting spike in Kennewick
- Wildlife, forestry groups presenting in Yakima for 4-day convention
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome