From the Yakima County Prosecutor's office:
Yakima County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office completed its review of the investigative reports for the Officer Casey Gillette officer involved shooting which resulted in the death of Rocendo Arias.
RCW 9A.16.040 permits the use of deadly force in situations where the circumstances indicate a person poses a threat of physical harm or death by threatening an officer with a weapon or displays a weapon in a manner which could reasonably be construed as threatening. Based upon the information provided, Officer Gillette responded to a perceived threat of injury or death when Arias pointed what appeared to be a handgun at Gillette. Accordingly, Officer Gillette was justified in the use of deadly force under the circumstances as perceived at that time.
- Ousted South Korean president's confidante sentenced
- Vulnerable pets earn second chance at life with generous donation
- Lineup ready for Yakima's Apple Jam talent search
- Burning of garbage cause of West Valley fire
- Camp Hope in Yakima sticking around until possibly November
- Funding for Yakima downtown plaza once again a problem