Officials are investigating a line-of-duty death after a former Wapato police officer dies this past weekend.
Yakima County Coroner Jack Hawkins says officer Derek Hansen died Sunday after he collapsed at his home.
An autopsy report shows Hansen died from blood clots caused by shoulder injury he sustained almost three years ago.
Hawkins says Hansen was attempting to arrrest an individual, when he was injured -- he had surgery on his shoulder and had to leave his job.
The Yakima County Prosecutor's office and Wapato police chief are currently awaiting medical records and reports, which will then be used to determine if Hansen's death was a homicide.
Hansen was 43 years old, a public memorial service is planned for March 21st at the Nazarene Church in Grandview.
- Local youth refugee performance works to inspire positive change
- Community rallies behind Meals on Wheels
- Store owners on high alert due to shoplifting spike in Kennewick
- Wildlife, forestry groups presenting in Yakima for 4-day convention
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome