SALEM, Ore. (AP) -- Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber and his longtime partner, Cylvia Hayes, are engaged.
The governor's office confirmed Monday that Kitzhaber and Cylvia Hayes have been engaged "for a couple of weeks."
Spokeswoman Melissa Navas says she doesn't know details, but "the governor and first lady could not be happier or more excited."
No wedding date has been set.
The marriage will be the third for both Kitzhaber, 67, and Hayes, 46.
The couple met when Hayes ran unsuccessfully for the state Legislature in 2002.
Kitzhaber refers to Hayes as the "first lady," and she's embraced the role of political spouse. She regularly appears with Kitzhaber in public and works on her own initiatives that include battling hunger and poverty.
- Sunnyside police officer resigns after domestic violence allegations
- Layton Park vandalism suspect caught on camera
- Deputies investigating Kennewick woman's unknown cause of death
- Pasco Police searching for man involved in active case
- Ford to invest $1.2 billion in Michigan plants
- Amazon buys Souq in big play for Middle East market