SALEM, Ore. (AP) -- Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber and his longtime partner, Cylvia Hayes, are engaged.
The governor's office confirmed Monday that Kitzhaber and Cylvia Hayes have been engaged "for a couple of weeks."
Spokeswoman Melissa Navas says she doesn't know details, but "the governor and first lady could not be happier or more excited."
No wedding date has been set.
The marriage will be the third for both Kitzhaber, 67, and Hayes, 46.
The couple met when Hayes ran unsuccessfully for the state Legislature in 2002.
Kitzhaber refers to Hayes as the "first lady," and she's embraced the role of political spouse. She regularly appears with Kitzhaber in public and works on her own initiatives that include battling hunger and poverty.
- Firework stands open up on tribal land
- Authorities warning swimmers after man was swept away in Yakima River
- Man fatally shot by Kent police during pursuit identified
- Credit card skimmers on the rise in grocery stores
- Veterans benefiting from free community acupuncture
- Wildfires in central Washington cover more than 6,000 acres