The Pasco City Council votes to draft a measure that will ban the sale of medical and recreational marijuana city-wide.
The vote came in 6-1.
Mayor Matt Watkins said the city's attorney advise the council cannot continue to extend moratoriums and a decision would need to be made soon.
Watkins said one of the main concerns is selling marijuana makes no financial sense because there is very limited tax money that the city will make.
Watkins also said it is a concern that the state and federal government are on two different pages when it comes to pot sales.
The city will vote on the ban in two weeks.
The current moratorium will be up in September.
- Yakama Nation's fuel tax exemption sought by state
- Yakima's end of Ramadan celebration
- Hit-and-run sends Wapato man to hospital
- Domestic Violence Services seeks air mattress donations
- Walla Walla General Hospital breaks its silence following closure announcement
- State responds to letter from West Richland regarding pot shop location