Double-check that number before you call back. That’s the warning from the Washington State Department of Revenue about voice messages being left from someone claiming to be a Revenue employee.
Scammers are leaving messages and directing people to return the call on a toll-free number. Once a person reaches the automated system, they are told to enter a code or hang up and dial an international number. When they do, the caller is hit with phone charges.
Revenue uses an automated dialing system to contact business owners who have past due tax returns. The correct phone number is 800-631-4028. However, Revenue never asks taxpayers to dial an international number or charges fees for calling.
The number that scammers are using is similar to this toll-free number Revenue provides.
If taxpayers receive a message from someone with Revenue, they should check Revenue’s website to confirm they have the correct number: http://dor.wa.gov/800.
- Airman from Umatilla dies in Syria
- Control your work email to regain control of your life
- Suspects on the loose after home invasion
- Lululemon nosedives 21%: Its spring leggings are boring
- Man in custody following Benton County standoff
- Crews start project to connect people to Columbia Park Trail in South Richland