This so-called "Polar Vortex" taking place on the east coast has caused a shortage of blood donations.
Nearly 300 blood drives across 25 states were canceled due to snow and extreme cold resulting in a shortfall of more than 8000 blood and platelet donations since Jan. 2nd.
The Red Cross is encouraging residents in the unaffected areas of Washington and Oregon to boost donations immediately.
Platelet donors, as well as blood donors with the most in-demand blood types, O positive and negative, A negative and B negative, are urgently needed to give blood in the days and weeks ahead to offset the shortfall.
- Goats return to manage levee vegetation along Mill Creek
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Thrift store and non-profit continues fight against homelessness
- Police arrest suspect in murder of 14-year-old boy
- Man charged with assaulting 7-week-old daughter
- 10-year-old donates earnings to shooting victim's family