This so-called "Polar Vortex" taking place on the east coast has caused a shortage of blood donations.
Nearly 300 blood drives across 25 states were canceled due to snow and extreme cold resulting in a shortfall of more than 8000 blood and platelet donations since Jan. 2nd.
The Red Cross is encouraging residents in the unaffected areas of Washington and Oregon to boost donations immediately.
Platelet donors, as well as blood donors with the most in-demand blood types, O positive and negative, A negative and B negative, are urgently needed to give blood in the days and weeks ahead to offset the shortfall.
- Yakama Nation's fuel tax exemption sought by state
- Yakima's end of Ramadan celebration
- Hit-and-run sends Wapato man to hospital
- Domestic Violence Services seeks air mattress donations
- Walla Walla General Hospital breaks its silence following closure announcement
- State responds to letter from West Richland regarding pot shop location